Thursday 27 May 2010

'The Pics'

Went to the cinema in Ipswich today to see The Bad Lieutenant. Didn't fancy it, but went to keep Richard company. When I was very young and lived in Bootle, we used to visit the cinema on Saturday afternoons. In those days we said 'going to the pictures' or 'the pics'. It really is true that you could get in with jam jars. The one pound jars were worth a penny and the half pound ones a ha'penny. I never paid with jam jars because my father had a job and could afford to give me tuppence for seats at the very front. Whilst out today, I lost another umbrella. I lose umbrellas regularly. Recently, the Tie Shop in Colchester closed down and they were selling umbrellas for £2. I really should have bought a few dozen, but stuck to a nice tartan one which is the one I lost today, though still have the cover. Goodnight everyone.

1 comment:

  1. We always said "going to the pictures" too, Maureen. Not with jam jars, though!

    ReplyDelete